The EU’s F-Gas Regulation No. 842/2006 came into effect in July ’07. F-gases contain the most common form of refrigerant in use today, HFCs. Leakage of these HFCs not only decreases your system’s energy efficiency but it is also harmful to the environment.
Operators bear legal responsibility for your equipment’s compliance with this regulation.
All stationary, hard-wired units must be regularly checked, this is a legally obligation. The frequency of these checks should be determined by the amount of refrigerant in your system: 3kg requires an annual inspection whilst 30kg requires at least 2 per year.
In order to remain within the law, you must:
- Arrange for leak checks in accordance with a leak checking schedule.
- Prevent & repair leaks as a matter of due care.
- Ensure that only certified personnel conduct leakage checks.
- Maintain records of refrigerants and servicing.
- Arrange proper recovery by certified personnel during servicing & disposal.